Many people reheat leftovers for days on end, partly because the food is still delicious, and the rest goes to waste. However, if leftover food is reheated too many times, it will likely affect health. We will help you answer the question “How many times can I reheat food?” through the following article.
How many times can I reheat food?
The answer is that food should only be reheated once. The reason is that, if the process of cooling and reheating food is repeated many times, the risk of food poisoning increases. When food is cold, bacteria can multiply and develop, so eating it will affect health, especially the stomach.
Note, when reheating food you need to make sure it is hot both outside and inside. Because it’s just hot outside, there are still bacteria.
Is it right or wrong to reheat food many times?
There is a truth in the kitchen, each meal is often overlooked for fear of shortage,… Therefore, for the next meal, you will have to reheat the food to make the hot meal delicious.
Reheating food once is no big deal. But many times it shouldn’t.
The habit of reheating food over and over again is not good, especially in terms of health. Reheating food over and over again, the body will load up on food sources of nutrients that are gradually lost each time it is reheated. Not to mention, the risk of food poisoning is very high. This habit of long-term application can accumulate toxins, causing chronic diseases in people, which is extremely unfortunate. They can make you sick.
The nutritional value is very low, and can even cause toxic substances. Processed food should be used up. If left to store, fungi and bacteria will grow and increase in number. They also produce dangerous toxins that make us toxic if ingested. Even if you reheat the food, it won’t lose those toxins.
*** Read more: How To Keep Fried Fish Warm? [The 5 Most Effective Ways]
How to reheat safely
Most of us only heat food for 1-2 minutes by putting it in the microwave. Reheating like this can heat food unevenly, leaving “cool pockets” in the food where bacteria can grow.
If you want to reheat your food, you need to make sure it’s simmering. High heat can not only kill bacteria but also make your leftovers safe to consume. You can put the food in the pan, put the pan over the flame and let it simmer for a suitable time. You can also heat it with an air fryer to the right temperature.
Reheat food in the microwave
Cakes such as bread or pizza need to be eaten hot to be delicious and the flavor is fully preserved. One of the ways to heat these cakes is to use the microwave.
You just need to put the pizza or bread plate and a glass of filtered water into the microwave to make the steam rise to ensure moisture in the oven, helping the cake not to dry out. Microwave at the highest temperature for 30 – 45 seconds and you will have a warm, delicious cake right away.
Leftovers or soups are usually kept in the refrigerator. When you take it out and want the food to be hot again, you should reheat it in the microwave to ensure the nutrition of the dish.
Place soup or soup in a glass bowl and microwave over medium heat for 3 minutes. Every 60 seconds you pause, open the oven, and use a spoon to stir a few times quickly.
#3. Sticky rice
The way to heat the rice and sticky rice is similar to soups. If you are reheating leftover rice or sticky rice that you have kept in the refrigerator, you should put 1-2 small ice cubes on top so that the surface of the rice and sticky rice does not dry out.
For grilled dishes such as pork, beef, or fish, you should brush a thin layer of cooking oil on the surface of the dish. Then place in a glass dish and put in the oven.
Turn on the heating mode at a medium temperature (no more than 120 degrees Celsius) and the time is about 5-7 minutes depending on the size of the meat and fish. Grilled food will have a much more delicious and rich flavor when it is reheated.
You put the vegetables on the glass plate. For grilled vegetables, spray or brush a little cooking oil on the surface. For boiled vegetables, add 1-2 small ice cubes. Then, put the vegetable dish in the microwave on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
*** Read more: How To Reheat Tamales In Crock Pot? Detailed Instructions
#6. Notes when using the microwave to heat food
– Do not store food with plastic objects because the plastic will be deformed, and when melted plastic produces many substances harmful to the body.
– Do not use metal objects because they can generate sparks inside the oven, which is very easy to cause fire or explosion.
– Do not cover the lid when heating liquid foods such as soup, soup, or milk, … because, during the healing process, the liquid heats up leading to an increase in internal pressure, which can crack the lids.
– If reheating canned foods, you should also poke a few holes in the can.
– Do not heat eggs in the microwave. Because when you put cooked eggs (including raw eggs) into the oven, the electromagnetic field affects the water in the whites and yolks to become hot quickly and expand strongly, forming a great pressure that leads to an explosion.
– After heating food in the microwave, you should open the oven door for 15 – 30 minutes to allow ventilation and reduce odors.
Heat food in the oven
This way will be more suitable for grilled and fried dishes.
To reheat food in the oven, you need to place the food in high heat-resistant utensils such as special silicone trays, aluminum, stainless steel, or heat-resistant glass or porcelain.
To stabilize the temperature, before reheating for 15 minutes, you need to preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
Place the dish in the oven and heat for 10-20 minutes depending on the dish. While reheating, remember to keep an eye on the oven so that the dish does not burn.
For cakes: To prevent the cake from drying out, you should cover it with a layer of foil or parchment paper.
*** Read more: Can You Freeze Cooked Hamburgers? The Best Way To Do It!
Reheat food by boiling
This method is more suitable for braised dishes, stir-fries, and soups.
You put food in nylon bags, glass containers, or heat-resistant plastic containers. You need to make sure the lid is tight so water doesn’t get in.
Then place these bags or boxes in a pot of boiling water. The amount of water in the pot should be 1/2 – 2/3 of the height of the pot.
You reheat for 10-15 minutes depending on the amount of dish. After that, you just need to turn off the stove, open the bag or lid, and put the dish on the plate.
Reheat food with a steamer
The steamer reheating method applies to all dishes except fried and grilled dishes. Because the way of steaming will not guarantee the deliciousness of the dish.
You place the food bowl or arrange the food directly on the colander and steam for about 10-15 minutes on medium heat. You should cover the bowl or open the pot lid once every 3-5 minutes so that the water on the lid does not fall and affect the dish.
How to store leftovers
– After the food has cooled, use a food preservation film or a specialized box to cover it and then put it in the refrigerator. Remember to let the food cool down before putting it in the fridge. Different leftovers should be disposed of separately to avoid bacterial cross-contamination.
– Divide food into sufficient quantities for one use. When taking food out of the refrigerator, it should be processed immediately, not taken out, and then kept in storage.
– Keep the refrigerator temperature below 4 degrees Celsius, and the freezer below 0 degrees Celsius.
– Food after being cooked needs to be put in the refrigerator within 2 hours, if left out longer will not be good. The best time to store leftovers in the refrigerator is within 4-5 hours. Foods such as rice, agricultural products, shelled eggs, seafood, or dairy foods should not be reheated but consumed within the same day.
– Use food as soon as possible, if left for a long time some bacteria such as Listeria will grow, causing illness.
*** Read more: How To Meal Prep Without Food Going Bad? [9 Best Tips]
We are often thrifty and do not want to waste a single dish. However, using food that is reheated many times is not good for health, especially for people with digestive and stomach diseases. Hope with “How many times can I reheat food?” Above, people will know how to use and preserve food better.