Can an air fryer reheat leftovers? In addition to the primary function of frying – baking food, the air fryer can reheat food, defrost food, and make cakes. This article will share with you how to reheat leftovers with an air fryer in straightforward steps. Let’s refer to “Reheating leftovers in Air Fryer”!
What foods can be stored in the refrigerator?
Some foods need to be kept in the refrigerator to slow the growth of germs, keeping them fresh and safe for longer. They are foods that have a “use by” date and “keep cold” on the label, such as milk, meat, and ready-to-eat foods. Food needs to be cooled down before being refrigerated (usually within 2 hours), stored in the refrigerator, and eaten within 2 days.
Avoid keeping food in open tin cans in the refrigerator, as the food inside can develop a metallic taste. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions or place food in sealed containers or bowls before refrigerating.
*** Read more: How Many Times Can I Reheat Food: Ways To Reheat Safely
Follow these tips to get the most out of them:
- Leftovers are cooled as quickly as possible, ideally within 2 hours.
- Divide leftovers into individual portions and refrigerate or freeze.
- Use leftovers in the refrigerator within 2 days.
- When reheating food, make sure it is heated until it reaches 70C for 2 minutes.
- Always defrost leftovers completely in the refrigerator or the microwave.
- When defrosting, food should only be reheated once, because the more you cool and reheat food, the higher the risk of food poisoning.
- Cooked food that has been frozen and removed from the freezer should be reheated and eaten within 24 hours of complete defrosting.
- Foods stored in the freezer, such as ice cream and frozen desserts, should not be refrozen once they have thawed.
- To be safe and reduce waste, only take out of the freezer what you plan to use within the next 24 hours.
How to reheat leftovers with an air fryer
Each air fryer has a very high temperature of about 80-200 degrees Celsius or even higher. This can kill up to 99% of bacteria in food when stored outside.
Here, we will share with you 5 steps to reheat with an air fryer.
Step 1. Prepare the necessary items for heating
You should choose items made from metal (aluminum, stainless steel, …) or glass, or porcelain to put in the air fryer.
Do not use “low heat” items such as plastic trays, nylon, or mica. If it’s fried or grilled dishes, you can use parchment paper, or foil or place it directly on the baking tray.
Step 2. Start the air fryer about 5 minutes in advance
Just like when frying, this helps the temperature in the inner pot to stabilize, reaching the required level. You just need to plug in the power and adjust it to 100 – 150 degrees Celsius.
Step 3. Put the food container in the pot
The food is put into the utensils, then immediately put into the frying basket of the pot. You should act quickly, to avoid heat escaping. Then set the time for about 5-10 minutes. (At this point, the pot already has the temperature set in the previous step! At 100 – 150 degrees Celsius).
Step 4. 5-7 minutes, check the food once
By taking the tray out normally, if it has not reached the desired temperature, then add it again.
- Depending on the type of food you put in, soup, fried dishes, braised dishes, etc., there will be different times. If you reheat fried food, baking will be about 4-5 minutes faster. As for everyday dishes such as soup, fried, stir-fried, it takes 5-10 minutes.
- Moreover, if the amount of food to be reheated is too much, you can also set a longer time for the temperature to heat evenly.
- You can take out the tray very easily even while it is reheating. The pot will automatically turn off the power, when the tray is inserted, it will continue to work.
*** Read more: How To Reheat Biscuits in Air Fryer: Make Them Taste Fresh
Step 5. Grab the food and enjoy
You unplug the power, then wear gloves (underwear) to take out the food.
Experience setting time and temperature when reheating leftovers with an air fryer:
- Reheat pizza with an air fryer: it is recommended to use a temperature of 180 degrees C within 3-5 minutes.
- Heat spring rolls, and bread with an air fryer: it is recommended to use a temperature of 175 degrees C within 3-5 minutes.
- Reheat soup, soup with an air fryer: it is recommended to use a temperature of 100 degrees C within 4-5 minutes.
- Reheat the fried fish cakes with an air fryer: it is recommended to use a temperature of 120 degrees C within 5-10 minutes.
- Reheating fried dishes, stocked with an air fryer: it is recommended to use a temperature of 100 degrees C within 4-5 minutes.
You can completely estimate the time and temperature easily. If you are inexperienced, you can install it longer (later), and regularly check the fryer.
Mistakes when using an air fryer to reheat leftovers
Many people still make the mistake of using an air fryer to reheat leftovers. If you also own one, stay away from these mistakes.
#1. Forgot to preheat
Forgetting to preheat the pot can result in the food not being cooked enough.
For the best quality, set the air fryer to the right temperature for a few minutes before adding the food. This method helps the food to cook evenly, and at the same time saves cooking time.
#2. Not cleaning properly
Between each cooking time, you should disassemble the parts of the pot and wash it thoroughly. Most parts can be safe in the dishwasher, making housewives easier to clean.
You need to clean the main body of the pot from time to time to remove grease and food debris. If you don’t clean the pot between each cooking session, the flavors of the previous dish may stain your food.
#3. Choose a fryer that is not suitable for your kitchen and lifestyle (This is just an extra point)
Air fryers come in many different shapes, sizes, and colors for you to choose from. When you get one that suits your needs, you’ll use it more often, making the most of the pot’s performance.
If you are living alone, choose a small pot that cooks enough for 1 or 2 people to eat. If you are living with your family, then you need a larger capacity pot to cook more food.
The style and color of the pot in harmony, bringing accents to the kitchen is also a way for you to embellish the space, making cooking more interesting.
*** Read more: How To Reheat Hush Puppies The Right Way
#4. Spray the oil directly on the food in the pot
In the process of cooking food with a fryer, the addition of cooking oil is a common occurrence.
But you should not put food in the pot and spray cooking oil directly on it. Because doing so can create a build-up of sticky substances on the inside of the pot.
Take the food out and then add the cooking oil, you can spread the oil more evenly, and the excess oil will not flow into the pot, making it difficult to clean.
#5. Put the working pot in the drawer
The air fryer will release some smoke and steam. So when you are using them, do not leave them in closed cabinets or shelves.
The best way is to place the fryer right under the hood, your kitchen will not be haunted by food odors.
#6. Didn’t know the air fryer could replace the microwave
Some foods, especially fried foods, are difficult to reheat in the microwave. But with the air fryer, your leftovers will still be as crispy as yesterday.
The fact that the air fryer is capable of reheating and crisping leftovers is impressive. You can completely replace the microwave in this function.
#7. Do not shake the fryer basket when cooking
During cooking, you should shake the fryer basket several times to ensure that the food inside is cooked evenly. Especially for small cut dishes like french fries, shaking the pot basket is essential.
#8. Do not dry food surface
Use a paper towel or clean cloth to dry foods before putting them in the air fryer. A dry surface will turn to a crisp yellow faster than a wet surface.
Do not dry food first, not only will the quality of the dish be affected, but it will also take longer for you to process, consuming electricity and a lot of steam coming out of the wet kitchen space.
#9. You don’t make full use of the pot’s functions
Did you know that the air fryer is not only used for frying food but can also bake cakes and make sweet desserts?
Before using it for sweet snacks, make sure your fryer is cleaned. The aroma and salty taste of previously prepared dishes will not affect the pastry.
*** Read more: Can You Heat Up Mayo? The 5 Safest Methods to Heat Up Mayo
Tips for using an air fryer
- Smaller ingredients usually require a shorter processing time than larger ingredients.
- Turning fried foods during cooking will help them cook more evenly and won’t burn.
- It is not recommended to process foods containing a lot of fat in a fryer because when frying, the oil will open a lot.
- You can cook fast foods with an oil-free fryer.
- Place a baking tray or microwave dish in the basket if you want to bake or if you want to fry fragile or filling ingredients.
- You can also use the pot to reheat ingredients. To reheat ingredients, set the temperature to 150°C for up to 10 minutes.
- The air fryer is designed for use in ambient temperatures between 5ºC and 40ºC.
- Always unplug the machine after use.
- Allow the appliance to cool down for approximately 30 minutes before handling or cleaning it.
- Ensure that the ingredients processed with this equipment turn yellow instead of black or brown. Discard burnt leftovers. Do not bake fresh potatoes at temperatures above 180°C (to minimize the production of acrylic amines).
- Once the pot with the basket has been removed from the appliance, place the pot with a basket on a suitable surface and allow it to cool down for at least 30 seconds before removing the basket from the pot.
*** Read more: What To Serve With Venison Tenderloin: 4 Best Side Dishes
With a little trick on the word “Reheating leftovers in Air Fryer”, you won’t have to worry about the dish not being delicious when reheating. Follow more articles to remember for yourself more useful information.