Nutrition is the key to a healthy life, and good health, daily diet cannot lack foods such as vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, or dairy products, … are the ingredients. Good nutrition keeps us healthy. We are familiar with legumes such as chickpeas, black beans, white beans, soybeans, etc. In today’s article, let’s learn about pinto beans and What Color are Pinto Beans?
Currently, pinto beans are one of the golden foods containing many healthy nutrients, recommended by nutritionists to be added to their food list.
Pinto beans are the seeds of a plant of the species Phaseolus vulgaris in the legume family. Pinto beans, also known as chrysanthemums, are a type of plant in the legume family, the seeds are oval and have many color spots. Can be combined with other ingredients to make dishes such as stir-fries, salads, stews, soups, porridges, or pulverized cakes…
Pinto beans are native to the Americas and later grown in the United States and Mexico.
Pinto beans have a very high protein content similar to that found in animals and higher than other grains, high in B vitamins, rich in iron and fiber, and low in fat and calories. Protein in beans is similar in quality to the protein in animals.
*** Read more: What Do Grocery Stores Do With Expired Food: 4 Solutions!
What Color are Pinto Beans?
In terms of the shape of the Pinto Bean, it is a herbaceous plant that can grow upright or climb over existing hedges (similar to a pea). Pinto bean flowers are purple-yellowish white, usually growing from the branches at the stem. Pinto beans have an elongated shape similar to other beans. The average length of the fruit is from 5-8cm, inside 3-5 seeds depending on the length of the fruit.
Pinto beans when green is green (like cove beans) and when ripe, the pods turn yellowish purple. To get the seeds, after harvesting the ripe fruit, the farmer will transfer the pinto beans to the drying or roasting stage, then separate this golden shell, and take the seeds inside.
There are many types of Pinto beans, but there are two main types distinguished by spot color:
- Brown Pinto beans: Spots on the seeds are brown (also called brown peas)
- Pink Pinto Beans (Cranberry Beans): The spots on the seeds are dark pink (pink chrysanthemum beans).
Health benefits of pinto beans
#1. Pinto beans are rich in fiber
It contains a lot of carbohydrates that provide fiber and is a low-calorie source of energy, full of 2 types of healthy fiber.
In which soluble fiber will partially break down into gelatin compounds that help slow down the destruction of carbohydrates during digestion, stabilize blood sugar levels and effectively lose weight.
#2. Pinto beans help prevent digestive diseases and diabetes
Adding pinto beans to daily meals helps the body absorb protein well, reduce the consumption of calories, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and enhance glycemic control to help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Pinto beans contain soluble fiber that helps you feel full for longer, helps stabilize blood sugar levels, and is suitable for the digestive system.
#3. Pinto beans improve nervous system function
Pinto beans are rich in folic acid, which is essential for the healthy development of brain cells and helps improve the functions of the nervous system.
*** Read more: How To Reheat Biscuits in Air Fryer
#4. Pinto beans are good for pregnant women
Because it is rich in folic acid and B vitamins, chrysanthemum helps pregnant women stay healthy and is good for the development of the fetus.
Pinto beans help limit the birth defects that can happen to the baby in the first three months of pregnancy.
#5. Pinto beans help prevent hair loss
Pinto beans are rich in protein content, and eaten regularly helps strengthen hair and effectively prevent hair loss.
#6. Pinto beans reduce the risk of cancer
Pinto beans contain many good antioxidants, including Polyphenols and Flavonoids, especially Kaempferol (a type of flavonoid antioxidant) that works very well in reducing inflammation, reducing the risk of stroke, and can help fight against some cancers.
#7. Improve signs of dryness, acne on the skin
Compounds of the vitamin B group, have a good effect in beautifying the skin, moisturizing, and making the skin softer. Not only that, but they also fly away the dark spots and dark spots left by acne, helping to improve skin tone effectively.
Ways to make delicious Pinto beans
#1. How to cook pinto bean soup
Ingredients to prepare (materials prepared for 5-6 people)
- Pinto beans 100g, red beans 100g, green beans 100g
- Freshly grated coconut kg, 100g desiccated coconut, coconut milk
- Tapioca 20g
- Sugar rock 500g
- Put the beans in the water, and remove any floating, decayed seeds.
- Soak beans with water for at least 2 hours, pinto beans soak longer, about 6 hours.
- Grated fresh coconut, soaked for about ½ hour in warm water, drained.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in a cup of cold water. Do not use warm or hot water as the tapioca will cook.
- Prepare a pot of 2 liters of water, and add the beans to the boil. Cook for about 45-60 minutes until the beans are cooked and tender.
- Heat rock sugar with 500ml water. Stir well until the sugar dissolves and glues, then turn off the stove.
- Mix coconut milk with a cup of dissolved tapioca flour together. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the tapioca is cooked and the mixture thickens.
- Place each ingredient in a bowl or glass one at a time. First, put the cooked beans in a bowl, and add a little sugar water, and coconut milk. Finally, add shredded coconut and desiccated coconut and enjoy. If you want to eat cold, you can add ice.
*** Read more: What To Serve With Venison Tenderloin?
#2. How to cook pinto bean sticky rice
Ingredients to be prepared
- Pinto beans 200g
- Glutinous rice add 350gr
- Fresh grated coconut 200g
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Beans brought back wash, remove the beans are deep, damaged, moldy.
- Soak beans in water for about 6 hours.
- Glutinous rice soaked in water for about 2 hours, removed, and drained.
- Washed rice and chrysanthemum, mix well, and put in the rice cooker. Add a pinch of salt and 2 cups of water. Continue to add fresh coconut and coconut milk to the same.
- Start cooking the beans in the steamer.
- Then, when you see that the sticky rice has started to cook, you switch to the hot brewing mode. Stir the sticky rice in the pot, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then turn it back on to cooking mode.
- Next, when you see that the sticky rice is fully cooked, turn on the warming mode again. You can enjoy sticky rice after about 10-15 minutes.
- Chrysanthemum sticky rice is very fleshy, fragrant, and soft. You can eat sticky rice with meat rolls, rolls, and sausages to make the dish more attractive and delicious.
#3. How to make pinto bean milk
Ingredients to be prepared
- Pinto beans 200g
- 3 walnuts
- Dates are 2
- Pandan leaves (sticky leaves)
- White sugar 2 tablespoons, salt ¼ teaspoon, condensed milk 1 cup
- Water 2.5 liters
- Wash pinto beans, remove damaged seeds and soak beans in cold water for about 6 hours.
- Peel the walnuts and roast until cooked.
- Dates are seeded and peeled.
- Wash the leaves and cut them into small pieces.
- Pinto beans, dates, and walnuts after being processed, put them in the blender. Add about 1.5 liters of water, and puree the nuts.
- Using a filter bag or strainer, filter the blended mixture. Retain the water, and remove the residue. It is recommended to filter about 2-3 times so that the milk water does not have residue and residue inside.
- Put the filtered water and sticky rice leaves in the pot, and cook on medium heat. When the water boils, remove the floating foam. Cook for about half an hour on low heat.
- Turn off the heat, add condensed milk and sugar and stir well.
- You can drink it when the milk is cold or drink it cold with ice.
Note: Homemade pinto bean milk should be used within 24 hours. After this period, milk will gradually lose nutrients along with the invasion of bacteria, which will not be good for health. So cook a sufficient amount of milk for you and your family.
*** Read more: Can Birds Eat Cornmeal? (Answered) – Mindyfox
How to store Pinto Beans to increase shelf life
#1. Store beans for 3 days
After opening the packaging of pinto beans, they should be kept high, well ventilated, and in low light.
Beans should not be put in a low, humid place to avoid mold and loss of nutrients. If you cook beans, eat them immediately or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
#2. Store for 1 month
You can keep pinto beans for up to 1 month while their nutrients are intact. If you put them in a plastic jar or vacuum bag, divide them into small portions that are enough for each use. Then put the whole thing in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator.
Are sprouted pinto beans edible?
Besides dried pinto beans, you can completely prepare fresh pinto beans that are equally delicious and nutritious. Since it is a fresh seed, the possibility of germinating beans is very high.
Are sprouted pinto beans harmful? The answer is no. Sprouted pinto beans also contain more protein and other nutrients than whole or dried beans. So you can use it with complete peace of mind.
Pinto beans are extremely nutritious. They are an excellent source of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. These nutrients may provide many benefits, including improved blood sugar control and heart health.
Hope the information we bring to you through the article “What Color are Pinto Beans?” will help you make a good choice for you and your family. Pinto beans are also rich in various antioxidants and may help reduce the risk of chronic disease. What’s more, they’re affordable, easy to prepare, and pair well with many dishes.
*** Read more: How To Reheat Hush Puppies The Right Way